2020 La Grange Arts Stroll
Name: 2020 La Grange Arts Stroll
Date: September 8, 2020 - September 30, 2020
An eclectic array of original works by dozens of local artists is highlighted in a month-long event called the La Grange Arts Stroll, beginning September 8, that celebrates art and engages the community during times of social distancing.
Throughout the month, visitors can walk past a pop-up art studio to watch an artist at work in the window, get their portrait sketched, take an art class, bid on art in an online auction, enjoy live music outdoors, watch a chef at work, or admire original art displayed in store windows.
A walking map guides visitors to art in several mediums shown at businesses, galleries, shops and restaurants throughout the village. Artwork includes sweeping, colorful outdoor murals, commissioned works of ethnic art, wall sculptures, wood carvings, photography, paintings, ceramics and more from local and nationally known artists. Some artwork is available to purchase.
The Arts Stroll is sponsored by Baird & Warner La Grange and held with the cooperation of the Village of La Grange and the La Grange Art League.
"Art connects us when we can't by physically together and reminds us of the bonds that make us a community," said Scott Persin, manager of the La Grange office of Baird & Warner. "We wanted to be part of an initiative that brings the creative process up close and showcases the excellent artists that we have locally."
Highlights of the La Grange Arts Stroll include:
- Pop-Up Art Studio - Watch a local artist paint on canvas from inside a storefront window, Saturdays from 1-4 at 26 S. La Grange Rd. Featuring Heidi Buckner, September 12; Jawuane Johnson, September 19; and Julie Skida/Kelly Clark, September 26.
- Portraits on the Patio - outdoor portraits done in charcoal and graphite. 10:30-4pm on September 26 at the La Grange Art League.
- Community Chalk Project - outdoors on Saturday beginning September 12 near Boyce Chiropractic.
- The Art of Flower Arranging, led by floral shop Bloom3
- In-studio or virtual painting sessions led by art studio Bottle & Bottega
- Youth Dot Rock Painting Class led by the La Grange Art League
- Unleash your inner Picasso and design your own pottery led by art studio Ceramic Art Café
The Art of Food:
- Baird & Warner La Grange organizes a unique virtual event featuring culinary demonstrations from some of the top chefs and restaurant owners in La Grange. For details details, follow: https://www.facebook.com/BairdWarnerLaGrange/
Art in the Windows:
- Original works from local artists are displayed in 12 designated store windows. Artwork in each window is available for sale.
- Own a colorful piece of La Grange history and bid on any of the nearly 30 hand-painted wheeled party carts displayed in front of local businesses this summer as part of a public art exhibit called "La Grange Rolls With It" which is sponsored by the Park District of La Grange. Online bidding closes at 7pm on September 12. Proceeds help benefit local nonprofit organizations.
- Musicians perform on the rooftop and patio at Palmer Place every Sunday from 1:30-4:30 and Wednesday from 6:30-10pm.
- Live music is featured under the spacious tent every Sunday through September at Antonino's Ristorante.
- Summer takes on a whole new vibe with Fiddlesticks on the rooftop at The Elm on Saturday, September 19 at 8pm.
The La Grange Arts Stroll is part of a series of events organized by the La Grange Business Association that are designed to help people feel connected even when social distancing. Upcoming events include a display of life-sized, themed skeletons posing in front of local businesses in October and a calendar of holiday events beginning in November.